The Baden-Powell Service Association is looking for volunteer applicants for the following positions! Applications for these positions should be sent in by January 31, 2013.
What are we looking for in our volunteer staff?
Consider one of these positions if you…
- believe in our mission to bring traditional scouting to the US within the context of a coed, inclusive environment,
- have time and enthusiasm for our cause and program,
- are willing to work hard to help BPSA succeed as a youth program, and
- are 18 or over and are currently registered as BPSA member or eligible to register upon acceptance of the position.
If you meet the above criteria, read on; you could be a great fit for one of these needed roles within our organization.
The following list gives a description of the responsibilities and expectations of those roles as well. Read carefully and if you’re interested in applying for a position, follow the instructions after the list to submit your application. Keep in mind that BPSA is a volunteer-run organization and we do not have any paid full- or part-time staff. Our organization’s success is up to the commitment and ethusiasm of our members.
- Regional Commissioner (Northeast)
- Regional Commissioner (South)
- Regional Commissioner (Midwest)
- Regional Commissioner (Southwest)
- Regional Commissioner (West)
Treasurer (1 position)
As part of the Executive Committee (HQ), the Treasurer is responsible for managing and tracking the budget and finances of BPSA. The treasurer should have a background in or experience with finance, budgeting, fundraising and other money matters. Among the duties of Treasurer are:
- Yearly financial filing for organization, Federal 501(c)3 and State
- Keeping financial records and receipts, archiving them and making them available to HQ
- Coordinating with each area of HQ (Quartermaster, Secretary, CC and others) on creating and managing a budget for each area
- Presenting our fiscal status in a report each quarter to HQ and yearly to our members
- Managing our bank account/PayPal account and other resources, ensuring security and appropriate access to funds
- Coordinate with other ad-hoc committees on fundraising efforts and expenditures
As a member of the HQ Executive Committee, you will also be a voting member and integral part of the organization. You should be available for any quarterly or other staff conference calls and make yourself available to HQ membes and ad-hoc committee chairman as needed. The ability to track and manage a budget are important in this role; as is the ability to communicate well with others, both written and oral.
Your experience and creativity can be brought to bear on proper financial management techniques, tools and methods to be employed by the BPSA; as well as best practices in communicating to our HQ staff and members. Keep in mind, this is a volunteer-run organization, and as a volunteer, you’ll need to be able to manage your own time and tasks in a way that not only helps the organization, but allows you the time to do your current work and be with your family—each of those is important to all our volunteer members and we understand that working with a large, volunteer organization can take a lot of time and effort.
Regional Commissioner - Northeast, Midwest, South, Southwest and West (5 positions)
BPSA membership and chartered groups are growing each year. To help provide a point of contact for members, Group Scoutmasters and others involved or interested in the BPSA program, we are putting in place volunteer Commissioners at the “regional” level. Currently, we’ve divided up the country into 5 primary regions: Northeast, Midwest, South, Southwest and West (see below).
Commissioners serve as liasons and also representatives of their respective regions with HQ. Regional Commissioners are also considered voting members within their region. The primary responsibilities of Regional Commissioners are as follows:
- Provide a first point of contact for members and non-members in their region about BPSA and our program
- Help new and existing groups in their region maintain and build a good program
- Coordinate, organize and work with other BPSA members in the region to provide training camps and activities
- Enable effective communication with members, groups in the region regarding program and policy
- Provide news and updates to BPSA HQ on regional activities, training and other events
- Work with local groups and members to ensure BPSA and our program receive attention via news and other media sources
- Network within the region to help find sponsors and supporters for the BPSA
- Attend any quarterly HQ conference calls or meetings and provide input and ideas
Regional Commissioners are also able to delegate work to other BPSA members, groups or ad-hoc committees as needed for meeting any of the above goals. If funding for a particular activity, event or undertaking is required, the Regional Commissioners should bring it to the attention of the Treasurer and also before HQ at a regular meeting for approval.
Great, so how do I apply for one of these positions?
Volunteer applications should be sent via email to email@example.com. The “subject” line should mention the position being applied, and the following information should be provided in the email:
Full Name: (First M. Last)
Social Security #: We do require a background check for all positions.
Contact Info: phone number, alternate email
Address: Postal Address
BPSA Scout Group (if any): If you’re registered with a group or as a Lone Scout, let us know
Resume/CV (attachment): If you have a resume or CV that provides background related to your position or that you might think is relevant, attach it.
Why you want to take on this position? Give us a summary of why you want this position; what intrigues you about, what ideas you bring to the role and why/how you think taking on this role would be a benefit for BPSA and its program.
Remember, we need your application sent in to us by no later than January 31, 2013!
We look forward to hearing from you as we begin this process of staffing out HQ and working to make our organization and program more complete and successful!
Yours in Traditional Scouting,
BPSA HQ Staff and Committee